With the addition of the Upright Bass to its collections, the Vienna Symphonic Library now offers yet another instrument frequently used in jazz compositions.
The recordings were done with Bernd Konzett, a well-known jazz bassist from the Austrian state Vorarlberg. Following numerous test recordings, he equipped his 4-string, three-quarter bass with a 113 cm scale with thinner E and A strings, and thicker D and G strings... A short while thereafter, Bernd realized just how painful it can be to record for the Vienna Symphonic Library. As opposed to a several-hour-long gig at a jazz club, a glissandi recording session can be torturous, leaving the musician with veritable burns on the fingertips. The strings themselves heat up to high temperatures, resulting in regular blistering of the fingertips, leaving behind a certain smell of burned and blistered skin in the Silent Stage.
All of the articulations are pizzicato, and include staccatos, portatos and sustains with various vibrato strengths, as well as performances like legato, the above-mentioned slow and fast glissandos and tone repetitions, and also special ghost note performances which have not been available in this form until now. The Upright Bass sample set is rounded off by snaps, noises and various other effects.
Your purchase of any VSL library entitles you to download the free Vienna Instruments player software that includes the Vienna Ensemble mixing host.
• PC Windows 7 (latest Service Pack, 32/64-bit), Intel Core 2 Duo or AMD Athlon 64 X2
• Mac OS X 10.6 (latest update), Intel Core 2 Duo
• 2 GB RAM (4 GB recommended)
• ViennaKey (Vienna Symphonic Library USB protection device) or other USB eLicenser (e.g., from Steinberg or Arturia)
• eLicenser Control Center software (get the latest version from www.eLicenser.net)
• free hard drive space according to This Library Size Chart
Other configurations might work but are not actively supported.
• PC Windows 7 (latest Service Pack, 64-bit), Intel i5/i7/Xeon
• Mac OS X 10.7 (latest update), i5/i7/Xeon
• Fast separate hard drive (7200 rpm or faster)
• AU/VST/AAX Native/RTAS compatible host (also works stand-alone)
• RTAS version requires Pro Tools 7.3 or higher
• 88 key master keyboard
Vienna Instruments require the ViennaKey!
This USB protection device by eLicenser (formerly Syncrosoft) is not included in the box of any collection, it is a separate item you have to get additionally. So you’ll have to order at least one ViennaKey with your first purchase. It will be put inside the shopping basket automatically but can be deleted if not required. Customers who order the complete SYMPHONIC CUBE will get one ViennaKey for free (not shown in the basket). If you already own another eLicenser USB protection device (e.g., from Steinberg or Arturia), you can use it for the VIENNA INSTRUMENTS, too. Each dongle can store up to 100 product licenses.
Additionally an internet connection on any computer is required to authorize a VSL product.
Q: How can I setup a Matrix-Template in the Vienna Instruments Player?
A: Please check this useful tutorial at www.soniccontrol.tv