The timpani, or kettledrum, has been established as a staple of the symphony orchestra since the 17th century. Whereas in the Baroque and Classical period one pair of timpani was the standard, four (or even more) instruments in Romantic and modern works are common. The timpani is one of the rare membranophones with a definite pitch and its tuning requires extremely sensitive hearing.
The intensity of performance tasks makes it essential that the timpani part in the orchestra is played by a specialist, the “timpanist. As opposed to other percussionists who usually change instruments as required by the piece (e.g., bass drum, a-due cymbals, tambourine, triangle) the timpanist focuses on playing the timpani part exclusively.
The instrument has a range of about a sixth, a timpani group of several instruments covers approximately two octaves. The sound of the timpani blends homogeneously with other instrument groups of the orchestra. Timpani with majestic brass fanfares have their roots in history, and the combination of strings played in tremolo over a foundation of timpani rolls is a popular combination for creating dramatic and thrilling effects. Weve recorded single strokes, tremolos (with and without dynamics), and glissandos with various wooden and felt mallets (hard – medium hard – medium) as well as with finger strokes.
|Standard Library||Full Library|
|Download File Size||642.2MB||8.2 GB|
|Installed File Size||1.9 GB||2.5 GB|
The following reviews have been placed by customers who also bought this product from us. All reviews are provided through eKomi, Europes largest independent customer review company.
Die Qualität des Instrumentes ist einfach super. Danke VSL
Your purchase of any VSL library entitles you to download the free Vienna Instruments Player software that includes the Vienna Ensemble mixing host.
• PC Windows 7 (latest Service Pack, 32/64-bit), Intel Core 2 Duo or AMD Athlon 64 X2
• Mac OS X 10.8 (latest update), Intel Core 2 Duo
• 2 GB RAM (4 GB recommended)
• ViennaKey (Vienna Symphonic Library USB protection device) or other USB eLicenser (e.g., from Steinberg or Arturia)
• eLicenser Control Center software (get the latest version from www.eLicenser.net)
• free hard drive space according to This Library Size Chart
Other configurations might work but are not actively supported.
• PC Windows 7 (latest Service Pack, 64-bit), Intel i5/i7/Xeon
• Mac OS X 10.8 (latest update), i5/i7/Xeon
• Fast separate hard drive (7200 rpm or faster)
• AU/VST/AAX Native/RTAS compatible host (also works stand-alone)
• RTAS version requires Pro Tools 7.3 or higher
• 88 key master keyboard
Vienna Instruments require the ViennaKey!
This USB protection device by eLicenser (by Steinberg, formerly Syncrosoft) is not included in the box of any collection, it is a separate item you have to get additionally. So you’ll have to order at least one ViennaKey with your first purchase. It will be put inside the shopping basket automatically but can be deleted if not required. Customers who order the complete SYMPHONIC CUBE will get one ViennaKey for free (not shown in the basket). If you already own another eLicenser USB protection device (e.g., from Steinberg or Arturia), you can use it for the VIENNA INSTRUMENTS, too. Each dongle can store up to 100 product licenses.
Additionally an internet connection on any computer is required to authorize a VSL product.